This position exists to provide professional oversight of an engineering nature and act as the technical representative for all CMT and laboratory testing services. The work requires a professional knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of engineering concerned with construction materials testing aspects of projects. The work requires the exercise of considerable initiative, independent judgment and discretion with minimum supervision in handling project related details.
Senior Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time as needed. Temporary modifications to provide reasonable accommodations for a period of time do not waive any essential functions of the job requirements. The position requires an incumbent to:
Assist group and project managers with developing scope of work and preparing proposals to ensure that required specification items and adequate frequency of testing and inspections are included.
Review approved construction documents upon project award and prepare summary of specification items included in scope of work to ensure that staff is familiar with the requirements and that services will meet building code requirements.
Perform monthly site visits to all full-time projects. Coordinate visits as needed with other company PE’s to ensure that mandatory visits are completed.
Audit quality of project field observation and testing reports.
Prepare and sign letters of conformance and final special inspection letters upon project completion.
Perform annual competency evaluations for field & lab personnel. Delegate the evaluations to designated, qualified professional staff to ensure that everyone receives the annual competency evaluation for each specific inspection and test that they perform.
Ensure that mandatory routine field equipment calibration schedule is met. Delegate calibrations to designated and qualified technicians as necessary.
Ensure that nuclear gauge radiation safety program is administered as required by all regulations.
Ensure that field services are performed in accordance with applicable industry standards.
Maintain accreditation of laboratories through CCRL, AMRL, State DOT, USACE, and/or other applicable agencies/programs.
Maintain the Quality Control Manual for assigned branch.
Oversee the preparation of scheduled laboratory inspections by all agencies and ensure that laboratory services are performed in accordance with industry standards.
Review and sign off on laboratory test reports.
Serve as a coach and foster professional development of staff and field personnel. Provide guidelines and training assistance as needed and/or required.
Present technical lunch and learn workshops at client locations as part of continuing development and business development efforts, depending on office requirements.
Ensure coordination with Regional Manager to meet sales and profit goals as requested by Branch Manager.
Interface with regulatory agencies and related personnel to direct efforts in compliance audits.
Interact with outside vendors as necessary to verify compliance with regulatory requirements.
Represent the company professionally and technically with Technical, Marketing and Industry groups to maximize the company’s exposure to the Design and Construction Industry.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies) - Knowledge of engineering processes, procedures, codes and standards. - Knowledge of general and special construction inspection practices. - Ability to communicate effectively with a thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic and vocabulary. Communications must be open and honest in keeping with Building & Earth open communication philosophy. - Ability to create and maintain accurate and confidential records and data and to prepare easily understandable reports for distribution.
- Ability to organize, coordinate and prioritize tasks and schedules. - Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, clients and client representatives and the general public with a focus on maintaining a Customer/Client focus at all times. - Ability to dress, speak and act professionally & appropriately.
- Ability to deal with stressful situations, multiple priorities and hectic schedules calmly and courteously.
- Skilled in the use of computers and common project management and software applications, including ability to learn company specific software applications.
- Ability to work ethically, honestly and safely at all times.
Physical Requirements 1. Must be able to work, move, or carry objects or materials up to 50 lbs. with or without assistance.
2. Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communications in the English language, including the ability to communicate directly and over the telephone and be understood.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience - Preferred: Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related field. - Preferred: Professional Engineering (PE) registration in state or states where work is performed
- Minimum of 5years’ experience in construction materials laboratory testing, field testing and special inspection services is required; 10 years' experience preferred.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Office or other spreadsheet software - Must have or have the ability to obtain CTTP Testing Technician Certifications and ICC Special Inspector certifications within field of Soil, Reinforced Concrete, Structural Masonry, Sprayed Fire Resistive Materials and Structural Steel. Special Requirements 1. Possession of a valid state of residence driver’s license. 2. Ability to be insured under all applicable Corporation insurance policies.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
About Building & Earth Sciences, Inc.
Building & Earth and its staff of Professional Engineers specializing in Geotechnical, Environmental and Materials Engineering are dedicated to providing high-caliber, timely service in all of the geographical markets we serve. In addition to our permanent locations, we mobilize our geotechnical and environmental personnel to provide professional engineering services through a variety of methods, including remote engineer technician service and temporary project specific on site geotech lab offices.